Hilco Global, in conjunction with Pitchbook, released a report focusing on M&A activity across North America and Europe. A few select highlights:
- 3Q 2015 generated $437 billion in completed M&A transaction value spread across 4,494 deals, the lowest we’ve seen in 2015. Yet if 4Q generates just the total value we saw in 1Q 2014 ($323 billion), we’ll close on a record $1.7 trillion+ in 2015 M&A.
- PE-to-strategic sales continue to represent the majority of sponsor-backed exits. 277 of such deals were completed last quarter—the highest we’ve ever seen.
- Add-ons remain the most utilized play for financial buyers, as they accounted for 58% of all PE-backed M&A activity last quarter.
- The B2C sector drove overall value last quarter, with $131 billion invested in the space. Excluding the $45 billion Kraft/Heinz combination, 3Q B2C still ranks higher than nearly every quarter dating back to 4Q 2013—only 2Q was higher.
- Healthcare M&A saw over $100 billion in capital invested— the second highest since at least 2010.
Read the full report here